While Waiting for Take-Off

Unless my thoughts hold a special remembrance of  a particular person or event, I tend to post my ponderings closer to the end of the month. That's because, despite my best efforts, most days charge by me, leaving me astounded that a week, month, or sometimes an entire season is already coming to a close. It seems just yesterday we were packing our car for Long Beach Island— how is it that my son has been in college a month? that already we are bringing in the lawn chairs and stacking fire wood?

This atypical, early-in-the-month entry is my best effort to stay ahead of the darkening days of October.  The next few months will be uncharacteristically busy as I trade my quiet, at-home writing days (with the occasional field trip to the library) for visits to Nashville, Atlanta, and Miami. I'll be packing for a sojourn to the Great Dismal Swamp, and traveling to festivals and bookstores across New York. 

I look forward to all these opportunities. I look forward to meeting students, teachers, librarians and other writers; I'm profoundly grateful for the opportunity to discuss the writing process and the characters I've come to love. This go round I will mostly be talking about Grace and her family, but I haven't forgotten Rebekkah, Matt or Serafina. Writing, like reading, changes us. It is impossible to enter the heart of another without gaining a change in perspective or a deepening appreciation for what it means to be human.

So here it is, late afternoon. The third of October. A copper sunlight shines through the still summer-blue sky. This month, my best effort is rewarded with the realization that no matter how swiftly the days charge by, or how crowded the calendar becomes, I am lucky to be doing what I love...I am lucky to be writing, to be visiting new places and making new friends...I am lucky to know that old friends - both real and imagined - are never far and will be waiting for me when the November sky grows dark.














Comments

  1. I read Serafina's Promise, and then I re-read it, and then I re-read it again....Then I gave it to my friend and she read it too.....and both of us have no words to describe the profound impact it has had on us....I want to thank you from the deepest chambers of my heart for giving this beautiful gift of words - a thought-provoking poetic journey into the heart of Serafina..a Haitian adventure, a cultural exploration, an interrogation on the role of 'colonial' language.....I will never forget this book ever....Thank You so much...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sunaina! thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely note ~ writing is such a solitary endeavor ~ I am always thrilled to hear from my readers! From the the deepest chamber of MY heart, I want you to know how much your kind words meant. May you and your friend have a wonderful new year ~ thank you again for reaching out to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann....wishing you a very Happy New Year too...from me and my friend.....:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts