Albert & Me

     Though it’s still officially fall, the days continue to grow shorter and the air colder. If I look to the right, out my front door, I see some brown leaves still clinging to trees, but if I look to the left, out my back door, I see only a tangle of leafless brown branches.  A few red berries add color to the yard, but it’s clear that we’re waiting for winter. There are those who love winter ~ and those that don’t. Not a flake has fallen, but already some dread the snow, the cold, the early evening darkness. I'm in court with Albert Camus. In the midst of winter, Camus wrote, I found there was within me, an invincible summer. 
     I wrote this lullaby, before I ever realized that  Albert and I were kindred spirits. 



A Winter’s Lullaby

This time when winter comes
We will not be afraid,
This time when winter comes, 
We know we will be brave.

For we know, in the snow, ♫
Is the soul of summer rain,
Bitter winds may blow,
But spring will come again.

So close your eyes my child, 
It’s been a long, long day,
Rest a little while,
We’ve come a long, long way.

This time when winter comes,
We know we will be brave.
This time when winter comes
We will not be afraid.




♫ ♫ ♫


Comments

Popular Posts