A Rose for my Grandmother

I wanted to post this Poem and Pondering yesterday, but never seemed to have a spare moment.  I'm posting anyway because it's never too late for a reflection on love.

My grandmother died on February 14th  so it's only natural that I think of her in a special way every Valentine's Day. Childhood memories of my grandmother are enhanced by the many stories my mother shared about her mother. Most of these stories centered on my grandmother's faith. Your grandmother loved God, my mother would say. She would die for her faith. 

On Valentine's Day, our  focus on romantic love is misleading.  The following poem written by my mother for her own beloved mother reminds us that romantic love is but one petal in this fragrant and mysterious flower.  

A Poem for Rose Martorano
written with love
   by her daughter
Helen Grace

My mother's hands
were lovely and strong
and never idle for very long.

My mother's hands
would cook, clean and sew,
pray Our Lady's beads
or knead the dough.

My mother's hands
toiled extra hard
ceaselessly giving
glory to God.

My mother's hands
grew wrinkled with age,
and painfully fluttered
when she turned the last page.

My mother's hands
now fold in repose
And heaven embraces
God's newest Rose.



Comments

Popular Posts