The Week We've Had

When I write a novel, I follow the story, but in these blog entries, I share my thoughts more directly, always aware that students may visit my site to fulfill research for school assignments. For that reason, I refrain from political discourse— once a teacher always a teacher— and while it's appropriate to pose questions, to stoke the mind (as I hope I do with the books I write), it is never a teacher's (or a writer's) task to tell students what to think or how to feel. I have a deep respect for differing points of view and sincerely believe that each of us has a right to our individual opinions and convictions. Historical Fiction is a unique prism. While events and characters may reside at some point in the past, we are evaluating these events and characters with present day sensibilities. This allows us to explore contemporary issues from relative safety. This week's events, however, demand that I speak more directly. The brief article below is copied from another site where I sometimes express my political angst, but what happened this week is not political. It is not a matter of opinion or conviction, but of truth. And the thing about truth is that no matter one's viewpoint, it is as undeniable as sunlight.


Lift Off


These days, I’m not sure there are many who wouldn’t wish to lift off and away from this wretched earth, who wouldn’t want to leave behind this damaged planet, this deeply disturbed country.

We watched a man being murdered. We watch as our cities burn. In schools, children pledge allegiance to values mocked by the very people entrusted to safeguard them. Surely there are good police officers with high ideals, but just as surely there are police officers who change from white robes into blue uniforms. Who could deny this? We watched as law enforcement officers murdered a handcuffed, unarmed, black man.

I wonder, when they gather their tasers, handcuffs and tactical gear in the police locker room, do the officers smile slyly at their grim secrets? Are they amused at the misplaced trust of small hands on hearts pledging allegiance to a land with liberty and justice for all?

We have betrayed our values for centuries but it is not our values that are flawed. As Shakespeare says, The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

As we lift off into the heavens, it would do well to remember that each of us bears a responsibility to honor our home planet and the values of our country. We must not only speak out with words, but with actions that reflect a genuine awareness, sincere contrition, and renewed commitment to the promise of liberty and the guarantee of justice for all.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts