A Hamilton Reflection After All

This isn't the blog post I intended to write. I originally intended to share my thoughts about our in-home viewing of Hamilton and our Covid-Approved, Hamilton-Inspired guests (see picture below). When that topic got too unwieldily to write about, I decided to finish an earlier essay about Historical Fiction. Then, since I've a new book coming out in October, I considered setting the stage by sharing some deleted copy and discussing the many iterations of Flooded, Requiem for Johnstown

We are more than halfway through August and I'm obviously having a problem focusing.

While I can still write from a fictional perspective, I've been distracted by current events and writing in real time has been difficult. One moment I'm angry, the next I'm confused. Sometimes I'm fearful, other times I'm sad. Thousands of Americans have died and are dying. Thousands more are suffering. Our country is in shambles. While the fundamental laws outlined in our constitution are beautiful, it is clear that we have never truly honored them. 

What amazed me most about Hamilton, was the realization that our early American heroes were so young and scrappy. Maybe that's the key to finding my focus. It's time to open our hearts to the young, to listen to them, to stop wasting time on tears and join them in fighting for the chance to tell the story we want to hear It's time to  raise a glass to freedom and most importantly, to VOTE. 



Comments

Popular Posts