Painting Love/words borrowed from a friend

 Today in my mailbox, a  friend shared with me a poem he had written, and while I'll not post the entire poem here, I'd like to share my favorite line...

an opportunity, a possibility to paint love with text and verse ~ how lovely is that? My website borrows the same sentiment from e.b. white which I've taken as a personal motto: All I hoped to say in books, all I ever hope to say is that I love the world.

Writing, like all art, is primarily an expression of love. Of course, it is often love tentative, rejected or misunderstood. Sometimes it is love enraged or corrupted, love so convoluted that it hardly seems like love at all. But to take the time to find the words to pen one's innermost feelings requires a deep commitment to what it is we hold most dear.

The poems and stories we write change us, just as the words we read challenge us to experience the world through another's perspective. The older I get, the more I recognize that this perspective, in whatever contortion it presents itself, is born of love. 

Thankful to my friend for reminding me how lucky I am to sit this desk each day with the opportunity, the possibility to paint love with text and verse.







Comments

Popular Posts