Angels Among Us





December already. It's been a whirlwind few months, but I am slowly getting things done and despite the news that tears at my heart daily, I still pray that light, hope and peace will one day overcome forces of bigotry and hate.  I was thinking of this as I unpacked my nativity set this year. I've written about  my nativity before— except for a few exquisite paper mache figures, my ever expanding creche is a ragtag collection of shepherds, angels and animals gathered or gifted to me. There are paper houses and evergreen trees cut and pasted by the hands of small children who have long grown up. Despite a  droopy appearance (and a necessary wall to lean on), each  piece is cherished reminder of Christmases past. 

With my big-footed Finnegan as ill behaved as his predecessor Smudges (could it be me?) I arranged the creche away from clumsy, curious paws. As I usually do, I placed the shepherds on one side and the exotic animals (the elephants, giraffes, hippos and horses) on the other. Usually I arrange my angel assortment close to the stable. But then I thought of the friend I hadn't seen in months, who still remembered my birthday and my grandson's birthday as well. I thought of my backyard neighbor and friend, who knowing that I was apprehensive about an upcoming conference, introduced me to a friend of hers who promised to be a welcoming face. Another friend did the same thing. So at a conference where I expected to know very few people, I ended up with a circle of kind, supportive new friends. There are angels among us, I remember thinking. 

This year, as always, there are angels at the stable. But there are also angels in the fields and angels in the paper village.  Despite the difficult times we now face, there are always angels among us. We know them by their kindness and my Christmas wish is that we recognize them when they arrive.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts